Summary: I have a passion
for working with people, designing; a love of learning and an
irrepressible enthusiasm to get the job done. I want to solve problems
with a team approach for functional designs with grace and elegance.
Give me a challenge and I’ll be happy.
- BSME (plus Masters courses), BSBio
- 15+ successful years of increasing
responsibility for projects, designs and people. Recent duties include
planning, coordinating assignments, budgeting, scheduling. supervision
of mechanical engineers and designers.
- Project leadership on many simultaneous programs – completed successfully.
- Advanced materials, equipment, high volume, technologies and process research all completed successfully.
- Coached and mentored junior team members
- Familiar with techniques for 10-4 Torr vacuum.
- Extensive knowledge of materials and technologies mundane and exotic.
- Successful packaging concepts DC to daylight and well into gamma/x-ray, including Advanced EMI techniques.
- Familiar/expert with Inventor,
AutoCAD, Solidworks, ProEngineer, ProMechanica, ANSYS (WorkBench),
Flotherm, MacroFlow, Oracle, MSOffice, LotusNotes, Excel, MS Project,
and many more.
- Designed electronic equipment racks for DFA/DFM and ease of maintenance.
- Data center design, including layout, floor plenums and AC/high speed/fiber optic cable routing.
- Designed electronic enclosures for
challenging shock, vibration, thermal and EMI environments,
maximizing performance and minimizing costs.
- Optimized board layouts for thermal and high speed processing.
- Designed/evaluated, tested and chose chip level packaging for custom ASIC’s to maximize performance and reliability.
- Analyzed life cycle and total cost of operation, including green sustainability
- Designed, experimented with, tested
and implemented cooling techniques such as natural convection, force
convection (heat sinks), evaporative coolers, heat exchangers,
immersion-nucleate boiling (Galden, Fluorinert), thermoelectric coolers,
as well as innovative inexpensive techniques.
- Wrote specifications for the mechanical performance from chip level up to system level.
- Ran theta j/c reliability versus clock speed trade offs.
- Conceived and managed tests of chip, board, box, rack and data center level performance.
- Alternative Energy: active (thin film and crystaline)/passive solar panels, windmills, green tech/sustainability designs
AKT/Applied Materials, Santa Clara, CA
Senior Member of the Technical Staff –
Supervision, Project/Program Management, team leader. Huge vacuum
chambers: design, sustaining, analysis, field support. International
customers, LCD, thin film/crystaline solar, plasma manufacturing
equipment. CVD, PECVD, PVD, EBT, etch, etc. Robotics, turbo pumps, huge
valves, exotic materials: Alclad, FFKM, 200lb ceramic plates, etc. 24
Technology Touch, Los Altos, CA
2001 – 2006
A home-based consulting business aiming
to support companies in research, development and design. Successful
examples: designed a stiffer frame for an airborne laser mirror; acted
as manufacturing liaison to a wide variety of fabricators and parts
suppliers; designed a gas-tight enclosure and fixed the robotic
deployment of the same laser; conceived, designed and implemented a low
cost, high volume injection molded electronic enclosure; reorganized,
updated and streamlined Engineering Department of Hamrock, Inc.
Kestrel Solutions, Inc., Mountain View,
1999 - 2001
Production engineering, Project/program
management. Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Automation, high-volume
Production Engineering, Manufacturing Liaison for outsourced
components, parts and assemblies, new product introduction, vendor
searches & evaluations, Cost/Benefit trade analysis, DFM, DFA, PM
procedures, sustaining, stress analysis, EMI, cabling, failure analysis,
design reviews, special projects, troubleshooting, cost reduction.
Invention disclosure: “Connectorless Backplane”.
GTE, Mountain View, CA.
1985 - 1999
Principal Mechanical Engineer;
Electronics Packaging; Project/Program Management;
Pneumatic/Hydraulic/Electric Motion Control. Innovative, cost
effective, robust & aggressively compact packaging for commercial,
space, airborne, surface ship & submarine as well as ground-based
mobile/tactical & strategic stationary environments. Shelters, rack
mount, mast systems (robotic deployment), antennas, air transportation,
ruggedizing COTS chassis & hi-rel enclosures. Concurrent
engineering. ISO 9000. JIT, DFM, DFA, customer presentations and
training. Surface mount technology, VME, VXI boards & chassis,
optical fiber & multichip modules.
BS: Mechanical Engineering, State U of NY at Buffalo.
BA: Biology, State U of NY at Buffalo.
MS: Mechanical Engineering, (15 units) State U of NY at Buffalo.
Seminars: Finance, SolidWorks,
ProEngineer Design & FEA, FloTherm CFD, MTT short course, advanced
composites; management; quality circles; supervision; economics.
PATENTS: Elliptical Propeller and
windmill blade assembly, 6,302,652, Rolling Element Clutch Assembly,
6,173,824, Combination Bearing/Freewheel clutch, 5,573,094, Toroidal
Winch, 4,911,373, 4-Bar Linkage, 4,912,994, Mechanical mast, 4,932,176,
Microwave circuit structure & method of mounting, 4,547,755. 24
Member: Society for the Advancement of Materials and Process Engineering (SAMPE)